Innovate UK Audience of the future: design foundations
Fund Name: Audience of the future: design foundations
Project Length: 2- 6 Months
Project Value: Share of £1M
Innovate UK, as part of UK Research and Innovation, will invest up to £1 million to fund early-stage, human-centered design projects through the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF). These will seek to understand customer needs and create new or better ideas for:
- immersive audience experiences across the creative industries
- products or services used to create, deliver and experience immersive content across the creative industries
This competition is for early-stage projects that use customer research to generate ideas that meet customer needs. Fast, low-cost prototyping and user testing of those ideas are also within scope. Projects should deliver well-defined, user-validated ideas ready for further technical research and development (R&D).
Your project must include activities or work packages that:
- discover audience perceptions, motivations, and behaviour
- define the problem statement and pinpoint the characteristics necessary to make any solution desirable and fit for purpose
- develop a broad range of ideas for new products, services or experiences using immersive technologies, or that support the creation and delivery of immersive content
- deliver clearly communicated ideas that have been validated through fast, low-cost prototyping and user-testing and are ready for further technical research and development (R&D)
The 9 sectors in the UK creative industries are, advertising and marketing, architecture, crafts, design (product, graphic and fashion), film (TV, video, radio, and photography), computer games and services
publishing, museums (galleries and libraries), music (performing and visual arts).
Your project’s total costs should be between £20,000 and £60,000. We expect projects to be able to start from 1 October 2018. They must last between 2 and 6 months and end by 31 March 2019.
You can explore innovation opportunities in one or more of the following areas:
1. The nature of immersive experiences. How can the state of the art be advanced with immersive audience experiences that are desirable and fit for purpose?
2. Creating and distributing immersive content. How can we make the production of high-quality content cheaper, faster and more accessible?
3. Delivering immersive content through hardware. Improving the physical devices through which audiences will experience immersive content, such as eye-wear, controllers or haptic feedback devices.
4. Delivering immersive content through software. Designing new digital platforms and services through which audiences will access immersive content.
To be eligible to lead a project you must:
- be a UK-registered business
- carry out your project work in the UK
- intend to exploit the results in or from the UK
You can work alone or in collaboration with others (businesses, research base or third sector). Only SMEs can work alone on projects.
Collaborations must include at least one SME. Find out if your business fits the EU definition of an SME.
Get in Touch
If you think that you might be eligible for Innovate UK Smart local energy systems: concepts and design fund, please Get In Touch by filling out the contact form below.Back to all funds