Innovate UK Open Call
Fund Name: Open Call
Project Length: 6 - 36 months
Project Value: Share of £20M
This competition provides innovation R&D funding from feasibility (including market research), through to technology or prototype testing and development stages up to (but not including) commercialisation. Proposals can come from any technology (including arts, design, media or creative industries) and any part of the economy.
Innovate UK Open Call projects must focus on commercialisation, growth or scale up as soon as possible following completion. Priority is given to proposals likely to lead to growth, gains in productivity and/or access to new overseas markets through export.
To be eligible for funding you must:
- be a UK based business of any size
- carry out your project work in the UK
- intend to exploit the results in or from the UK
- work alone or in collaboration with others (businesses, research base or third sector)
The government has launched an ambitious Industrial Strategy. The strategy sets out a long-term vision for how Britain can build on its economic strengths, address its productivity performance, embrace technological change and boost the earning power of people across the UK. Successful applicants can attract grant funding towards their eligible project costs. If the project is collaborative, at least one other organisation in the consortium must also claim funding.
Funding and project details
Proposals must demonstrate:
- a clear game-changing and/or disruptive innovative idea leading to new products, processes or services
- ideas that are significantly ahead of others in the field, set for rapid commercialisation
- a strong and deliverable business plan that addresses (and documents) market potential and needs
- a team, business arrangement or working structure with the necessary skills and experience to run and complete the project successfully and on time
- awareness of all the main risks the project will face (including contractor or equipment failure, recruitment delays and so on) with realistic management, mitigation and impact minimisation plans for each
- sound, practical financial plans and timelines
- good value for money which will always be a consideration in Innovate UK funding decisions
- a clear, evidence based plan to deliver significant economic impact, return on investment (ROI) and growth through commercialisation, as soon as possible after project completion
For feasibility studies (which may include market research) and industrial research, you could get up to:
- 70% of your eligible project costs if you are a small business
- 60% if you are a medium-sized business
- 50% if you are a large business
For experimental development projects which are nearer to market, you could get up to:
- 45% of your eligible project costs if you are a small business
- 35% if you are a medium-sized business
- 25% if you are a large business
Total eligible project costs must be within the following ranges:
- project duration between 6 to 18 months: total costs must be between £25,000 and £500,000. May be either single company or collaborative
- project duration between 19 to 36 months: total costs must be between £25,000 and £2,000,000. Must also be collaborative (cannot be a single company)
All projects must include at least one micro, small or medium-sized enterprise (SME).
All projects must start by 1 March 2019.
Get in Touch
If you think that you might be eligible for Innovate UK Open Call, please Get In Touch by filling out the contact form below.Back to all funds