UK Driverless Vehicles Grant Funding – ISCFPosted 1st May 2018
The Government will use the Driverless Vehicles Grant Funding to invest in collaborative research and development projects to develop the next generation of A.I. and control systems needed to ensure the UK is at the forefront of the driverless vehicles revolution. (Innovate UK)
The Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund aims to bring together the UK’s world-leading research with business to meet the major industrial and societal challenges of our time. The Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund provides funding and support to UK businesses and researchers. The fund is part of the UK government’s £4.7 billion increase in research and development over 4 years to 2021.
It is designed to ensure that research and innovation takes centre stage in the government’s Industrial Strategy.
Insight: Grant Funding for Driverless Cars
There was a specific seminar about the Driverless Vehicle ISCF at the Innovate UK Annual Conference in November 2017 where it was noted that it was not solely automotive companies involved in funded projects. In fact 88% of applicants and project partners come from ‘other sectors’ and are bringing skills and experience into the driverless car arena. Other specific observations made at the seminar were:
- Cross-sector partners seem to be encouraged in the award of funding . Only 12% of applicants awarded funding in the self-drive vehicle challenge are classified as operating the automotive sector. Others include insurance, parts manufacturing, technology, logistics, end users.
- Interesting discussions took place about ‘pop-up manufacturing capability’ so that production can be shifted to where the demand is on a dynamic basis.
- Regarding commercialisation strategy, enabling technologies – for example the use of blockchain – in the autonomous vehicle market could resolve new and secure ownership business models.
- There is specific interest in how grant funding can amplify the UK’s position in the global driverless car technology sector.
- It was observed that validation and verification should form part of a self-drive vehicle grant application, with the potential to partner with an expert in this field.
Grant Funding Success: Knowledge & Network
There is no substitute for talking to the funders, understanding their drivers and getting a definition of the kind of projects & companies they are looking to award grant funding to. The grant funding landscape is ever-shifting with subtle changes in focus and preferences influenced by macro and micro factors. We will continue to bring insights in an attempt to maximise the chance of securing grant funding for our clients.
Back to all posts