i4i Connect Fund Competition 5
Fund Name: i4i Connect Fund Competition 5
Project Length: 6-12 Months
Project Value: £50,000 to £150,000
i4i Connect is aimed at small-to-medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in need of a funding boost to reach the next stage in the development pathway. Eligible SMEs may comprise developers of medical devices, in vitro diagnostics and digital health technologies with direct patient benefits, looking to ultimately integrate into the NHS. As long as the requirement for proof-of-concept evidence is met, innovations can be at any stage of the translational research and development pathway prior to implementation in the NHS.
The funding stream aims to help SMEs get to a point where they can apply for further funding, in particular for an i4i Product Development Award. It also aims to de-risk projects at any stage of the translational research and development pathway to support follow-on investment. i4i Connect is researcher-led and does not specify topics for research.
i4i Connect operates a two stage application process:
- Stage 1 – Expression of Interest
- Stage 2 – 15 page (maximum) Business Plan and a 3 minute video pitch
i4i Connect will fund:
- Research and development of medical devices and in vitro diagnostics as defined by the relevant EU regulations, and some non-regulated digital health technologies (i.e some Tier 3a) with a clear patient benefit and for intended NHS use.
- Generation of data to support an application to i4i Product Development Awards or any other funding stream.
- All areas of existing or emerging healthcare needs at any stage of the translational research pathway, including but not limited to:
– Product design – Manufacturing and scale up – User requirement assessment
– Intellectual property strategy, including freedom to operate analysis – Development of a commercialisation strategy and market analysis – Business case development
– Small safety and efficacy studies including clinical validation/utility studies
– Health economic model development or analyses
– CE marking and other regulatory requirements, including any associated preparation for a future clinical investigation application
– Activities associated with the adoption of new technology and any training associated with the implementation of new technology
- Please note that the proposed projects should include a Research and Development component. Projects solely focusing on activities outside of these will not be funded, e.g. if the proposed work only involves business case development.
Essential project requirements include:
- Lead applicants must be from an SME.
- Lead applicants must be based in England.
- Projects must be £50,000-£150,000 in value.
- Projects must be 6-12 months in duration.
- Projects need to have proof-of-concept evidence.
- Projects need to address a clearly defined unmet clinical need.
- Project start dates must be between 01 January 2021 and 01 March 2021.
- Upon acceptance of i4i Connect funding, applicants agree to be bound by the terms of the NIHR standard research contract and are expected to sign the contract within 4 weeks of the award notice or the award may be withdrawn.
i4i Connect will not fund:
- Basic research
- Minor or incremental changes to technologies or interventions in current clinical use
- Projects involving small molecule drugs, stem cells or cosmetic products
- Projects that involve work on animals or animal tissue
- Evaluation or clinical trials of fully developed products or interventions, which have already been adopted within another NHS organisation or have a history of NHS use
- Studies on the impact of interventions on service delivery and management
- Products to be used only in hospital information, administration and infrastructure
- Methodologies clinically assessing or validating an existing or newly developed technique or technology
- Professional training
- Wellness and prevention apps or stand alone apps
Get In Touch
If you think that you might be eligible for this fund, please Get In Touch by filling out the contact form below.Back to all funds