Innovate UK Infrastructure Systems
Fund Name: Infrastructure Systems
Project Length: 6 - 36 Months
Project Value: Up to £19M
Innovate UK Infrastructure Systems
An eligible project, in Innovate UK Infrastructure Systems must show significant innovation in one or more of our priority areas, which are:
- smart infrastructure
- connected transport
- urban living
Proposals must improve business growth and productivity or create export opportunities for at least one UK SME involved in the project.
The aim of this infrastructure systems strand is to encourage innovation in infrastructure systems that provide critical services for our economy, environment and society.
The UK has the potential to lead the world in the priority areas described in ‘Specific competition themes’. Your proposal must show significant innovation in one of those themes.
1. Smart infrastructure
Smart infrastructure solutions will bring the digital and physical worlds together. They must add intelligence to physical infrastructure, or the design process, to improve:
- whole-life cost or performance
- resilience, security or sustainability
2. Urban living
An urban living solution must address challenges citizens face in urban areas. It must cover more than one urban infrastructure system and provide significant improvements in costs and user experience. Urban infrastructure systems include:
- ‘hard’ systems, such as energy, transport, waste, water and communication
- soft’ systems, such as security, law and justice (for example, public order and safety), health, wellbeing, social care and education
- ‘environmental’ systems, such as green spaces and waterways
3. Energy supply and systems
We are looking for innovations that improve value proposition, energy affordability and security, and reduce emissions in one of the following areas:
1. Energy supply. Solutions should either:
- lead to major cost reductions, improved asset integrity and supply chain development for nuclear fission. This will be for current and future UK and global civil nuclear markets, including decommissioning, or
- result in substantial reductions in the cost of energy from offshore wind
2. Energy systems. Solutions should flexibly match energy supply and demand profiles. Applications must either:
- create or demonstrate smart system solutions that integrate energy generation and demand at local, regional or national scale, or
- improve the ease and cost of integration of distributed generation
4. Connected transport
We are looking for solutions that move people and goods more efficiently, and make transport more secure, user-centric and accessible. The project must show clear capability to connect infrastructure, people and goods with additional modes of transport.
Your application must address one of these 3 areas:
1. Capacity and congestion across different modes of transport. This includes freight and logistics (including ports), aviation (customer experience and connection services) and multi-modal passenger transport. We encourage solutions in smart asset management, mobility as a service, and the end-to-end journey, such as parking or better connections between modes of transport.
2. Accessible and safe transport for all sectors of society. We welcome projects that encourage innovation in accessible transport and a change in people’s travel behaviour.
3. Sustainability, including improving air quality, reducing carbon emissions and future-proofing connected transport.
Get in Touch
If you think that you might be eligible for Innovate UK Infrastructure Systems fund, please Get In Touch by filling out the contact form below.
Back to all funds