Ocean plastic solution investment accelerator: reducing plastic pollution
Fund Name: reducing plastic pollution
Project Length: Up to 12 months
Project Value: Up to £2m
The aim of this competition is to support new scientific or technological innovation to reduce plastics waste and deliver a more circular economy approach to plastic use (including for polymer-based textiles and elastomers).
For example, this could include:
- scalable innovations along the entire plastics value chain, from material to end of life
- technology-enhanced business models that foster responsible consumption and drive the circular economy model
- step-change efficiency improvements in the recycling, clean-up and treatment of waste plastics
Projects should describe how they aim to reduce plastic waste and pollution of the wider environment. You should clearly describe where revenue generation and growth will occur in the UK as a result of the innovation and its exploitation.
Also in scope are:
- alternative business models which encourage positive consumer behaviour
- business actions at scale to reduce consumption and waste of single-use plastic
The benefits of the new approach should be measured as far as possible.
In all applications, any assumptions regarding market size and environmental impacts should be described and justified.
Sky Ocean Ventures are Innovate UK’s partner on this programme and are the only organisation eligible to provide the investment for your project through this specific competition. If you are successful in being offered grant funding by Innovate UK, you must also secure investment heads of terms with Sky Ocean Ventures before a grant can be awarded. Before submitting your application, therefore, we recommend you contact Sky Ocean Ventures to discuss your project and/or business at email@example.com.
Projects related to compostable or biodegradable approaches and chemical recycling are in scope.
Your project’s total costs should be between £100,000 and £200,000. Projects must start by 1 September 2019 and last up to 12 months.
Your project can focus on one or more of the following, non-exhaustively:
- developing new sustainable polymer materials
- sustainable plastic alternatives
- alternative business models and supply chains that use less plastic
- resource usage and design for circularity
- new product designs
- technology-enabled models that change consumer behaviours
- new recycling processes, including collecting, sorting and processing of waste plastics
- increasing the value of recycled polymers through conversion to new input materials
- scalable, technology-enabled remedial solutions
To be eligible for funding you must:
- be a UK based small or micro company, or have registered as a UK business before the grant is awarded
- carry out your project in the UK
- work alone
Research and technology organisations and universities cannot apply, but spin-out UK companies can apply.
Get In Touch
If you think that you might be eligible for this fund, please Get In Touch by filling out the contact form below.Back to all funds