SBRI first of a kind round 2: demonstrating tomorrow’s stations and a greener railway
Fund Name: demonstrating tomorrow’s stations and a greener railway
Project Length: No more than 9 months
Project Value: Share of up to £3.5m
The aim of this competition is to demonstrate how proven technologies can be integrated into a railway environment for the first time (‘first of a kind’ demonstrations). It aims to stimulate innovation in the rail industry. We will help innovative suppliers take the final step to market readiness. This is the second in a series of first of a kind (FOAK) rail competitions.
You must prove you have a well-developed innovation with a high technology readiness level (TRL) that delivers the expected outcomes when integrated in complex real-world railway applications.
Innovate UK will fund integration and direct user testing. Your solution must be field-tested and ready for use with an end customer by the end of your project.
Your application must demonstrate potential benefits to passengers and customers, including:
- why customers would buy the product
- how the funding will help companies in the consortium grow and result in broader economic benefits
- how you will obtain a clear route to market
Your project must:
- make taking up technologies less risky and faster
- be pre-commercial
- collect customer and performance feedback
- provide a business case for using the solution in a commercial environment
- consider the priorities of current and future franchises
- address elements of the 4Cs:
1. Costs: reducing by 50% or more.
2. Capacity: doubling.
3. Carbon: halving emissions.
4. Customers: improving their experience.
- provide relevant proofs, so your innovation can attract customers, get insurance, supply warranties and attract financing
The relevant proofs are:
- the technology works as designed when integrated into larger complex systems and delivers the expected outcomes
- the technology is accepted by and delivers benefits for customers and the broader rail industry
- the revenue potential for the innovation within a real commercial context
- the financing and business models can be delivered within a complex programme and consortium structure
Innovate UK expect to fund projects with total costs between £250,000 and £350,000, including VAT. Projects must plan to start by 1 March 2019 and can last up to 9 months. Projects longer than 9 months will not be supported.
To lead a project you:
- can be an organisation of any size
- must carry out your project work in the UK
Applicants are welcome from all sectors. Your consortium:
- must include a potential integration partner
- must involve a railway asset owner (stations, rolling stock, infrastructure), an experienced rail organisation and a rail organisation that has the potential to become a customer (these can all be the same organisation)
- will ideally include an innovative start-up supply company that is already delivering in another sector
- will ideally include an organisation with rail expertise, such as a train operating company, rolling stock manufacturer, or operator and infrastructure owner
Partners may only be involved on a subcontract basis.
Get in touch
If you think that you might be eligible for this fund, please Get In Touch by filling out the contact form below.Back to all funds