SBRI: Thistle Assistance app to help people with disability use public transport
Fund Name: Thistle Assistance app to help people with disability use public transport
Project Length: Up to 6 months
Project Value: Share of £150k
Innovate UK is seeking to identify and understand in detail the challenges faced by disabled people when travelling. Your project must explore the extent to which these affect disabled people’s travel plans and choices of mode of transport. It will develop a door to door journey planning solution that helps alleviate these barriers.
In phase 1 you must develop a proof of concept for a multi-user interface mobile application.
Your solution must:
- benefit people with several disabilities, for example, sight impairment, hearing impairment, mobility issues and dementia
- incorporate journey planning and wayfinding features
- allow third parties (such as family, emergency services and transport providers) to track the user in case of difficulty
- allow the user to ask third parties for help
- include multi-modal transport options
- adapt the user interface depending on disability
- be expanded later to benefit people with disabilities not included in the initial launch
Innovate UK is particularly encouraging applications that include:
- a simple, engaging and easy to understand interface
- innovative use of visual, audio and physical (such as vibration) approaches to communicate with the user
In phase 2 the chosen project teams will develop a working example ready to test.
We expect total project costs to range in size up to £30,000, including VAT, for each organisation. Projects must start by 1 April 2019, end by 1 October 2019 and can last up to 6 months. (Text update 5 Nov 2018: project start and end dates corrected.)
To lead a project, you can:
- be an organisation of any size
- work alone or with others from business, the research base or the third sector as subcontractors
You must be fully compliant with UK government privacy and data protection legislation.
Get In Touch
If you think that you might be eligible for this fund, please Get In Touch by filling out the contact form below.Back to all funds