SME support to evaluate innovation medical technologies: Round 4
Fund Name: SME support to evaluate innovation medical technologies
Project Length: 3-12 months
Project Value: Share of £1.5m
This competition is aimed at SMEs that have developed and manufactured innovative medical devices, diagnostics or regulated digital healthcare products.
The competition will support the development or design of plans for the collection of clinical data in a real-world setting, and also support the running of these studies.
Your proposal must:
- describe the innovative or CE-marked device
- show how your product is likely to have a significant impact, including increasing patient access to innovative technologies where appropriate
- demonstrate how the product meets the priority needs, such as those reviewed in the NHS Long Term Plan
- provide evidence that you are working with appropriate stakeholders including NICE, NHS, NIHR and AHSNs
- outline how your study will allow NICE to evaluate the data you collect
Your project must:
- focus on understanding evidence gaps and testing product performance to explain the operational impact of your product on the NHS
- add data to the evidence base that can contribute to the health technology appraisal process, for instance by comparing the use of the new product with the current standard of care
- involve potential breakthrough technologies
- help improve methods and systems
You can apply for funding of up to 50% of the total eligible project costs. Therefore, option 1 applications can claim a grant of up to £25,000. Option 2 applications can claim a grant of up to £125,000.
Projects must start by 12 December 2019 and must be completed by the end of December 2020.
Projects must have a total duration of between 3 and 12 months.
You must choose one of these.
Option 1: total project costs of up to £50,000
SMEs can apply for support to develop detailed and feasible plans for the collection of relevant data in a clinical setting. It is expected that such planning and evidence collection will involve discussion with appropriate stakeholders such as the NIHR, NICE and AHSNs.
Option 2: total project costs of up to £250,000
SMEs can apply for support to collect and analyse real-world data that helps evaluate the impact of a product. Plans for the collection and analysis of real-world data must have been developed in discussion with appropriate stakeholders, such as NIHR, NICE and AHSNs.
To lead a project or work alone you must:
- be an SME based in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland
- carry out your project within the NHS
- have a product that is aligned with at least one of the NHS’s priority healthcare areas, such as those reviewed in the NHS Long Term Plan
- have a product that is already available for the NHS to purchase, but that has been marketed in the UK for less than 5 years
- outline relevant discussions you have had with the main stakeholders, such as the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), National Institute for Health and Care Excellence and Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs), to demonstrate the feasibility of your proposal
- have gained a CE marking for your product
Get In Touch
If you think that you might be eligible for this fund, please Get In Touch by filling out the contact form below.Back to all funds