The Sustainable Innovation Fund: SBRI phase 1
Fund Name: The Sustainable Innovation Fund: SBRI phase 1
Project Length: Up to 3 months
Project Value: £60k
Innovate UK will fund organisations to develop and demonstrate new products or services. Your solution must help businesses and/or the public sector in the UK recover from the coronavirus (COVID 19) pandemic in a sustainable manner, demonstrating the impact and potential of a clean growth led recovery and transition to net zero.
Your organisation must work with identified potential future customers to:
- ‘build back better’ from the coronavirus (COVID 19) pandemic, creating a more sustainable economy
- help deliver on the government’s Clean Growth Strategy and net zero ambition
To be successful by the end of phase 2 you must develop and demonstrate new products or services which do both of the following:
- help businesses and/or the public sector in the UK recover from the pandemic
- protect the climate and environment upon which we and future generations depend
Your application must:
- demonstrate a clear plan for commercialisation and a route to market for affordable, developed solutions
- set out clearly how solutions might be tested in a representative or real world setting as part of phase 2
- address how any potentially negative outcomes (such as on the environment or society) would be managed
- explain how a positive impact on climate change and/or environmental sustainability will be achieved, maintained and measured
- work throughout with at least one potential future customer who might use your solution when it comes to market
Your project must address one or more of the following themes, which are informed by the government’s Clean Growth Strategy:
- decarbonising energy, business and industry
- improving business and industry efficiency
- improving the energy efficiency, heating and cooling of our homes and other buildings
- accelerating the shift to low carbon transport
- enhancing the benefits and value of our natural resources
- innovating for a more sustainable public sector
- climate change adaptation and mitigation
Innovate UK expect projects in this phase to range in size up to total costs of £60,000, including VAT.
Projects must start on 1 October 2020 and can last up to 3 months. You must be able to carry out project work under the prevailing restrictions of the pandemic.
To lead a project, you can be an organisation of any size. Academic institutions and registered charities can apply but must demonstrate a route to market, including a plan to commercialise the results.
Contracts will be awarded only to individual organisations but you can sub-contract specific tasks if they benefit the overall project. Ideally, subcontractors will have particular insight into the identified challenge area or clean growth agenda or be sector specialists or relevant academic institutions. Any subcontracted work is the responsibility of the main contractor.
Get in touch
If you think that you might be eligible for this fund, please Get In Touch by filling out the contact form below.Back to all funds