UK AI, Digital & Data Sector
One of the biggest advances of this century has been the continuous emergence of new, disruptive digital technologies that have revolutionised how we interact with the world.
The Digital Economy encompasses a wide spectrum of technologies, from Internet of Things, Big Data, advanced Artificial Intelligence and analytics (including Machine Learning), and immersive technologies, to cybersecurity, cryptocurrency and blockchain, and e-commerce.The most recent sector-breakthroughs include sensing and mobility, covering 3D-sensing cameras, AR-cloud, delivery drones, and autonomous driving, and augmented human technologies, with focus on inclusive design, with potential for augmented intelligence, emotion AI, immersive workspaces, and biotech.
Digital, and AI and data-enabled technologies are some of the key driving forces behind global economic growth and prosperity, with the UK viewed as a world-lead in this technology development. The UK Government has named AI and Data as one of its Grand Challenges in its Industrial Strategy, with digital tech growing 6 times faster than any other UK industry (contributing £149bn to the UK economy, accounting for 7.7% of UK GVA).
The technology sector underpins all sectors from financial services and high-value manufacturing to retail and agriculture, with £10.1bn being invested through venture capital investment (increasing by 44% in 2019). In addition, the UK has the highest number of initial public offerings (IPOs) and more tech unicorns created than anywhere else in Europe, this is set to continue with Series C investment growing 71% and Growth Equity (Private Equity) growing 51% in the last year. Significant investment has also been seen in UK purpose-driven tech companies, with those addressing UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) almost doubling in the last year, to £3.06bn.
Grant Funding Priorities
UK and EU Grant Funders are keen to support game-changing and disruptive projects that will have transformative effects on society, innovating in:
- Artificial Intelligence and Autonomous Systems
- Natural Language Processing
- Data analytics and Big Data
- Distributed Ledger Technology
- Internet of Things
- Immersive Media (such as virtual, augmented, and mixed reality)
- 5G-enabled projects (applications/services using enhanced mobile broadband, ultra-reliability, low latency or massive machine type communications)
- Robotic Systems (machines/cyber-physical systems)
Working with Granted Consultancy
Funding opportunities are focused on using the latest technology to address key economic, social and environmental challenges. Granted have supported numerous highly ambitious technology innovators in securing significant funding that has catalysed further development, including:
- AUTTO, a tech start-up set to deliver an innovative and accessible workflow automation solution for the legal sector incorporating AI technology
- Meshnet, an IoT company developing a unique Mesh Network for collecting remote sensor data.
- Paybase a London based FinTech set to revolutionise the industry through a complete end-to-end eMoney payments solution.
- Leading robotics experts Sigma Technical, a UK start-up developing advanced robotics solutions for research, measurement & improvement of human performance.
Get In Touch
Whether you are a start-up, or a large company, Granted Consultancy have a long history of writing grant applications for innovative organisations. Our dedication to supporting exciting businesses in unlocking their goals, means we strive to stay up to date with the latest developments across a number of industries and apply this knowledge with our expertise in crafting compelling funding applications.
If you have an innovative business in this sector, and want to explore the potential for grant funding, we would like to support you in unlocking your goals.
To understand how we work, please see our services page.