SME support to evaluate innovative medical technologies: round 3
Fund Name: SME support to evaluate innovative medical technologies
Project Length: 3-12 months
Project Value: Share of £1.5m
This competition is aimed at SMEs that have developed and manufactured innovative health tech, including medical devices, diagnostics and regulated digital healthcare products.
You must have gained a CE marking for your product but not marketed it in the UK for more than 5 years. You must collect supporting clinical evidence of its performance, cost-effectiveness and impact in the NHS. If we decide to fund you, this evidence may help increase uptake of your product within the NHS.
The competition will support the development or design of plans for the collection of clinical data in a real-world setting, and also support the running of these studies.
Your proposal must:
- describe the innovative or CE-marked device
- show how your product is likely to have a significant impact, including increasing patient access to innovative technologies where appropriate
- demonstrate how the product meets the priority needs, such as those defined in ‘Next steps on the NHS 5 Year Forward View’
- provide evidence that you are working with appropriate stakeholders including NICE, NHS, NIHR and AHSNs
- outline how your study will allowing NICE to evaluate its data
Your project must:
- focus on understanding evidence gaps and testing product performance to explain the operational impact of your product on the NHS
- add data to the evidence base that can contribute to the health technology appraisal process, for instance by comparing the use of the new product with the current standard of care
- involve potential breakthrough technologies
- help improve methods and systems
Your project’s total eligible costs can be up to £50,000 for option 1 and up to £250,000 for option 2. Projects must start by 1 July 2019 and be completed by the end of July 2020. They can last between 3 and 12 months.
To lead a project or work alone you must:
- be an SME based in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland
- carry out your project within the NHS
- have a product that is aligned with the specific priority healthcare areas defined in the ‘Next steps on the NHS 5 year forward view’
- involve products that have been marketed in the UK for less than 5 years
- be able to outline relevant discussions you have had with the main stakeholders, such as the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) and Academic Health Science Networks (AHSNs), to demonstrate the feasibility of your proposal
SMEs can work alone or in collaboration with other businesses or research organisations as unfunded partners or sub-contractors. Only the SME leading the project can claim grant funding.
Get In Touch
If you think that you might be eligible for this fund, please Get In Touch by filling out the contact form below.
Back to all funds